Sunday, April 26, 2009

Earth Day Baby
















After being told by my doctor at 4:00 on Tuesday that I would most likely not deliver for a few more days/week, I found myself at the hospital at 8:30 that night in labor. By the time Mike and I arrived, I was already dialated to a 4 and ready for an epidural. This took longer than expected. Finally at 11:30, the anesthesiologist came in to relieve my pain and it kicked in when I was ready to start pushing. Our baby boy was born at 2:24 AM, and we didn't name him until later that afternoon since he had to spend time in the NICU. Throughout the labor, the baby's heart rate kept dipping and when he was born they found the cord was wrapped around his neck once. A chest xray was taken and showed that he had a Pneumothorax (where air collects between the lungs and chest wall). The doctors wanted to monitor this, so for the next 2 1/2 days Parker was the heavy weight in the NICU--he was born weighing 8 lbs 4 oz and was 19 1/2 inches long. The baby next to him was only 2 lbs 5 oz. Everything is perfect now and we were able to bring him home Friday afternoon. We are very lucky to have him in our home, even if it is overwhelming learning how to be parents!

15 comments:

ashley said...

erin! he is so cute. megs told me you had him the other day and i was soooo excited! parker is such a cute name! congrats!!!

Desiree said...

So glad he is here!! And seriously, a heavy weight...how did such a big baby come from such a small girl!!

He is adorable and we can't wait to meet him. Congrats! (Oh, and I noticed the name Parker won! Yeah!)

Scott, Kasie, Payton and Emmett said...

Congratulations! He is adorable! Makes me so excited to meet our little guy in September!! Hope all is going well... and that you are getting enough sleep!

Ashley said...

Yay! I'm glad he is here! He sure is cute :)

Tori said...

Congrats! I think that Parker looks just like Mike. I hope that everything is going well now and that you are adjusting to having a new baby. We miss you guys and wish that you lived a little bit closer.

Aaron and Celina said...

yay i'm so excited your little guy is here! and he is so cute!! how are you feeling!? is it as painful as everyone says it is!? i'm so nervous!!

The Murdocks said...

He is so cute! I'm so happy for you guys. You will be great parents!

Kim said...

he is so cute. he has the longest fingers! can't wait to hold him. love, Taylor and everyone

Alec and Tiffany said...

Congrats!! He is adorable!!

Rebecca Pearce said...

congrats! so cute.

Courtney Brasher said...

How FUN! Congrats you guys! He's way too cute!

Amanda said...

congratulations guys! i'm so excited for you!

Natalie Sue said...

Congratulations you guys! He is so adorable! Wow, what a crazy labor, but you did great - it wasn't too long. But always scary when the cord is around their neck. That happened to one of my babies. I'm so glad he is doing well though, after his little stay in the NICU. Glad he's home and healthy! I hope you guys are doing well!!!!

Courtney Brasher said...

Mike,

Good to talk to you today. Pierce also developed a pneumothorax after he punctured his lung. His lungs were premature so a lot of things went wrong. Glad Parker is home and well.

I would offer a trade like I do in fantasy baseball but my baby has a much higher batting average!

Chris

SoCal Rogers said...

He is So cute! I am sad you are moving to Vegas. Hopefully we can keep in touch by blogs. Our address is kblrogers.blogspot.com